Monday, July 19, 2010

Change

Standing in line at Wal-mart with 2 anxious and tired children can sure put a damper on the trip all together. We had just filled our buggy with groceries and a little nonsense, so we knew it would be a while before we were all checked out. I had my debit card ready to pay without even questioning if I could afford it or not. What a luxury huh? I was able to buy food for my children without a second thought. Bella wanted cookies, and Gavin wanted bananas. I could give them those things. As I stood in line, completely tuning the kids out, I noticed a man. He was a simple looking man who didn't seem to ask for much. He held a ten dollar bill clutched tightly in his hand while he watched as his items were being rung up. He bought hamburger meat, a loaf of bread, and 3 candy bars. He seemed tired because he was slumped against the checkout counter like he just couldn't hold himself up very much longer. As I tried not to make eye contact, I noticed his shoes. They were black sneakers and completely worn out. I watched him anxiously await the total as he switched the money from hand to hand. My kids were loud, but he gave them a shy smile anyway. It melted my heart, and my eyes filled up with tears. I began to imagine what kind of life this man may live - He was hardworking, but under appreciated. He didn't have much money, but he made sure to surprise his family members with a candy bar each. He would give up everything he had just to make sure his family had everything they wanted. Would he? I don't know this man...maybe he isn't any of the things I made him out to be. I hadn't even met this man. He is just a man... Right? Sometimes I wonder what difference I could actually make...and why place so much worry on a person that I have never met. A person at Wal-mart...or a person standing on a street corner holding a sign "will work for food". FOOD...not money. Can I do something to change that. Can you?

Maybe I am too sensitive, maybe I over think things, maybe that man wasn't any of those things. Maybe... But maybe he was, and maybe I CAN change the world. I wanted to give that man my groceries...a hug....some shoes. He needed a kind word in his life. I wanted to give that to him and tell him "everything's going to be okay". I wasn't able to do those things for that man for I will think of him often, but I am able to pray for him. God has blessed our family. We don't have to spend our last $10 on 3 items just to make it through the week. I will pray for that simple man with worn out shoes. I will pray that my children always feel the need to pray for people they have never met. I will pray that I can make a difference in the world somehow. I will pray and give thanks. Thank you God for my family, Thank you.

I am glad I went to Wal-Mart today.

1 comment:

  1. This touched my heart, Moni. This is just one reason why I love you. You are always thinking about others and you are always willing to help. You may not think that you "helped" that man but by you thinking about him and praying for him is the greatest gift you could have given him.

    ReplyDelete